A LOVE SUPREME

I am now blogging at a new blog: erdman31.com

If you post comments here at Theos Project, please know that I will respond and engage your thoughts in a timely manner.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Incarnation Reflections

Here are some snippets of verses from the Messianic prophecy of Isaiah 49. I have been reflecting on these the last few days:

Isaiah 49:1 Before I was born the LORD called me; from my birth he has made mention of my name...
5 And now the LORD says-- he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD and my God has been my strength-- 6 he says: "It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."
13 Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones...
16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me...
22 This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "See, I will beckon to the Gentiles, I will lift up my banner to the peoples; they will bring your sons in their arms and carry your daughters on their shoulders...
23 ...those who hope in me will not be disappointed."

These passages are so interesting to me...As if it were not enough for the Messiah to restore Israel ("It is too small a thing"!) he is also to be "a light for the Gentiles.".....The Messiah came to gather and to save from all nations and peoples and to "engrave" them on the palms of his hands. A reference to the crucifixion? I would guess so.

No comments: